HOW IT HAPPENED
After two scoreless innings, senior Tom Crocco (Kings Park, N.Y.) got the Falcons on the board in the bottom of the third scoring two runs following an RBI single up the middle to give the hosts the early edge, 2-0.
Anna Maria countered back with a run, 2-1, in the top of the fourth, but solid pitching Daunte Brinkley (Hartford, Conn.) kept the AMCATS at bay as the junior ended the inning with back-to-back strikeouts.
Strong pitching from Brinkley as well as solid defense by the Falcons kept the AMCATS at bay to seal the home "W".
Similar to game one, Crocco put the Falcons up early, 1-0, on an RBI single to right field, advancing Mike Browne(New Fairfield, Conn.) home, but a four-run inning gave Anna Maria its first lead of the day, 4-1.
Anna Maria secured the conference split scoring a run in the fifth and a run in the seventh to defeat the Falcons, 6-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus – Daunte Brinkley (W, 3-1): 6.2 IP | 5 H | 1 R | 1 ER | 1 BB | 7 SO
- In the win, Brinkley recorded a career-best seven strikeouts.
- Anna Maria – Jack Marzec (L, 1-3): 6.0 IP | 4 H | 2 R | 2 ER | 2 BB | 5 SO
At the Plate (G1):
- Four different players registered a hit for the Falcons while Crocco posted a game-high two RBI.
- Juniors Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.) and Tyriq Harris (Waterbury, Conn.) posted a run scored each in the Falcons' win.
- Anna Maria was led offensively by Jason Shell who recorded a team-high two hits and an RBI.
- Albertus Magnus finished game one with a 4-of-24 showing at home.
- Anna Maria recorded five hits over 26 at-bats against Brinkley and Brandon Fowler (Middletown, Conn.).
On the Mound (G2):
- Albertus Magnus – Shawn McFeggan (L, 1-4): 1.2 IP | 3 H | 4 R | 3 ER | 3 BB | 1 SO
- Anna Maria – Colin Pipkin (W, 3-3): 7.0 IP | 6 H | 1 R | 1 ER | 2 BB | 6 SO
At the Plate (G2):
- Adam Twitchell and Jake Crevier led the AMCATS with a team-best three hits.
- Twitchell also drove in a game-high two runs while Crevier and Mike Tourony posted two RBI.
- Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.) and Crocco each registered two hits each while Crocco recorded the Falcons' lone RBI of the game.
- Albertus Magnus was held to six hits in game two while the AMCATS posted nine.
The AMCATS are back at it tomorrow with a conference double header on senior day against Lasell College at New England Baseball Complex beginning at 4pm.