NORTHBOROUGH, Mass – The AMCATS split their Great Northeast Athletic conference doubleheader on Sunday afternoon at the New England Baseball Complex, dropping game one, 13-3 and taking game two, 4-1, on what was senior day for four graduating 'Cats.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Both teams failed to score in the first inning then, Lasell got on the board in the second, scoring one on a Wyatt Sihvonen double to center. They added another in the third and two in the fourth, on a Sihvonen homer run, before the AMCATS answered in the bottom of the inning on an Adam Twitchell (Shrewsbury, Mass) single, scoring senior Tanner Jakola (Leominster, Mass).
Lasell extended their lead to 6-1 in the fifth as Evan Michalek doubled, driving in two runs. In the bottom of the fifth, Jason Shell (Sandwich, Mass) scored on a throwing error by the first baseman.
With the score 6-2 after five, the teams went scoreless in the sixth and the Lasers plated seven in the top of the seventh, highlighted by Sihvonen's second home run of the game. The AMCATS scored a third in the bottom of the seventh on a Greg Gehring (Southold, N.Y.) single, scoring Anthony Checo (Queens, N.Y.). That was all the AMCATS could muster and they fell, 13-3, in game one.
The 'Cats opened the scoring in the bottom of the first on a Nick Genatossio (Sutton, Mass) single through the right side of the infield, plating Jakola.
With a 3-0 advantage, Shell singled in the bottom of the fourth and on an error by the shortstop, Twitchell scored to give the 'Cats a commanding 4-0 lead.
The Lasers got on the board in the sixth by way of an error, scoring the designated hitter David Marsell, but it was all the visitors could muster in the inning and, after being retired in order in the seventh by Genatossio, the game. The AMCATS took home the 4-1 win and the split of the conference series.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Lasell – David Marsell (W): 6.0 IP | 4 H | 2 R | 1 ER | 1 BB | 0 K
- Anna Maria – Liam Cunningham (L): 3.2 IP | 8 H | 4 R | 3 ER | 1 BB | 0 K
At the Plate (G1):
- Chris Maringo went 5-5 in the game with three doubles while driving in three runs.
- Sihvonen hit two home runs and a double in a three-hit effort, driving in five runs.
- Evan Michalek also had three hits and two RBI.
- Five players had hits in the game for the AMCATS with Gehring and Twitchell driving in the only runs.
On the Mound (G2):
- Lasell – Sean Doris (L): 3.0 IP | 5 H | 3 R | 3 ER | 1 BB | 2 K
- Anna Maria – Nick Genatossio (W): 7.0 IP | 5 H | 1 R | 0 ER | 1 BB | 4 K
At the Plate (G2):
- Holland, Genatossio and Twitchell each had multi-hit games.
- Both of Holland's hits were doubles, Tourony added the other extra base hit, also a double.
- Tourony, Holland and Genatossio each drove in a run.
- Greg Gehring drew two walks in four plate appearances.
- Lasell had five hits in the game, all coming of the bats of different hitters.
- Andre Marchesseault drove in the lone run for the visitors.
The AMCATS will take to the road on Tuesday afternoon for a non-conference game against Clark University in Worcester at 3:30pm