Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

AMCATS' Drop OT Game to Lasell

AMCATS' Drop OT Game to Lasell

NEWTON, MA- Hannah Cebry (Burlington, CT) lodged the game winning goal for Lasell College field hockey today in overtime as the Lasers defeated Anna Maria College, 2-1, on Grellier Field. The hosts claimed victory after a seven game skid and improve to 3-11 while Anna Maria falls to 5-8.

Cebry's heroics came about just 2:01 into the first extra session after taking a cross from Meaghan Collier (Sidney, ME) at the top of the circle and firing one past Marita Steinmetz (Grafton, MA) in the AMCATS' net.

Lasell outshot Anna Maria 14-6 in the contest while the teams evened out at 15 penalty corner a piece.

In the first half, however, both teams faced limited chances in the stanza. Lasell was led by two on-target attempts by Sam Smithers (Yarmouth, MA) and two shots, with one on-goal, by Hannah Cebry (Burlington, CT). Anna Maria's only shot of the period was taken by Mary Beth McClune (Worcester, MA), the AMCATS' second leading scorer this season. Lasell's goalie Christine Thornton (Canton, MA) was able to divert the shot from entering Lasell net to hold off the visitors. Steinmetz protected the AMCATS net with three saves in the half.

Lasell continued to hold possession for the first part of the second half as they produced another 4-1 advantage in shots over the AMCATS in a ten minute span. Lasell's perseverance finally paid off on their 10th shot of the game, a penalty stroke by Smithers, at 51:17. The penalty shot was awarded after Anna Maria's defense committed a foul in the circle, allowing Smithers to put Lasell on top, 1-0.

Through the following 17 minutes the sole Lasers goal stood up, until with just 1:01 left to play, Katherine Bant (Johnstown, NY) put the game leveling mark across the goal line. Bant took aim off a penalty corner which was taken by Brooke Denver (New Britain, CT), at 68:59. Anna Maria got one more chance at goal in the final minute of regulation, but the seconds ticked off the clock with a victory claimed.

At the end of two periods, Thornton had turned aside five shot attempts and Steinmetz had blocked the net nine times. Two minutes into the overtime session, Cebry struck for the first and only shot of the frame and Lasell sealed the win.