-Score: Norwich University 3, Anna Maria College 1
-Records: Anna Maria College (1-5-1, GNAC 0-3), Norwich (3-3-1, MASCAC 2-0-1)
-Location: Paxton, Mass. (AMCAT Field)
- The Lead: The Norwich University men's soccer team remained unbeaten in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) play Wednesday afternoon with a 3-1 victory over Anna Maria College. Senior Camilo Estrada (Pawtucket, R.I.) led the Cadets with a goal and an assist.
How It Happened:
- Sophomore Carlos Guerra (Mission, Texas) put the Cadets on the board in the ninth minute of play, as he finished off a crossing pass from senior Greg Zydanowicz (Newington, Conn.) with a header for his first goal of the year.
- The Cadets pulled ahead 2-0 in the 48th minute when Estrada finished off a cross with another header from junior Matt Hilton (Colorado Springs, Colo.), also his first goal of the season.
- The AMCATS got on the board five minutes later after Norwich keeper Brendan Germano (Monroe Township, N.J.) made a nice save on a shot by sophomore Gift Kalombo (Worcester, Mass.), but Cristian Peguri (Litchfield, N.H.) knocked home to rebound for his first of the year.
- Norwich tacked on its final goal in the 77th minute when freshman Matt Bento (Brookfield, Conn.) took a cross along the goal line from Estrada and one-touched the pass into the net.
Inside the Numbers:
- Norwich finished with a 13-8 advantage in shots and an 8-1 margin in corner kicks.
- Germano finished with two saves to earn the win for Norwich.
- Junior keeper Mark Robinshaw (Ashford, Conn.) was solid in goal for the AMCATS, making five saves.
The AMCATS return to action on Sunday, Sept. 24, in a non-conference match-up at Curry College (1:00 p.m.) Norwich returns home to host Emmanuel College in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) match-up on Friday, Sept. 22, at 7 p.m.
* * *