- Score: Anna Maria College 3, Becker College 2
- Score: Anna Maria College 3, Nichols College 1
- Records: Anna Maria (2-0), Becker (0-2), Nichols (1-1)
- Location: Paxton, Mass. (AMCAT Field)
- The Lead: The Anna Maria College volleyball team notched two wins on Saturday afternoon in non-conference action with the Hawks of Becker College and the Bison of Nichols College to jumpstart their season with a 2-0 record. They took a 3-2 victory in game one of the tri-match with the Hawks and a 3-1 victory over the Bison in game three of the day.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
-The AMCATS took a 25-15 victory in the first set of the day before letting the Hawks tie it up at 1-1 with a 25-19 victory in set two. Becker extended their lead to 2-1 with a close, 27-25 victory in set three of the match. Anna Maria was able to clinch sets four and five of the match by scores of 25-17 and 15-10 to take the ultimate 3-2 victory in match one of the day.
- Set one was a back to back battle but the Bison ultimately came out on top with the 26-24 victory. Anna Maria cranked up the offensive pressure and took a 25-10 victory in set two of the match. The home team won the last two matches by scores of 25-16 and 25-21 to take the ultimate 3-1 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
-Rebecca Foti led the AMCATS to victory in match one with 22 kills while Hannah Mitchell checked in with 15 kills. Sophomore Tierney Clancy added 38 assists on the day while Carolina Garcia tallied a match high 38 digs.
-Gillian Criddle led the Hawks with 10 kills and Morgan Gould checked in with 33 assists in match one.
-Foti and Mitchell lifted the AMCATS to victory in match two over Nichols College. Foti posted 24 kills while Mitchell tallied 12 kills. Clancy added another 41 assists in match to. Foti totaled 46 kills on the day and Clancy checked in with a total of 79 assists to lift the AMCATS to a 2-0 record.
-J'Ena Baker has 19 kills in the loss and Hayley Pichard led in assists with 27. Baker and Jayla Simmons recorded 20 digs each.
Anna Maria (2-0) – Tuesday, Sept. 5 vs Fitchburg St., 7:00 p.m.
Nichols (1-1) – Wednesday, Sept. 6 @ Mitchell, 7:00 p.m.
Becker (0-2) – Tuesday, Sept. 5 vs Mount Ida, 7:00 p.m.