- Score: Albertus Magnus College 3, Anna Maria College 0 (25-23, 26-24, 25-7)
- Score: Suffolk University 3, Anna Maria College 0 (25-9, 25-11, 25-8)
- Records: Anna Maria (3-11, 0-5 GNAC), Albertus Magnus (11-7, 1-3 GNAC), Suffolk (8-6, 3-2 GNAC)
- Location: New Haven, Conn. (AMC Athletic Center)
- The Lead: The Anna Maria College women's volleyball team dropped a pair of Great Northeast Athletic Conference matches Saturday, falling to host Albertus Magnus College (3-0) and Suffolk University (3-0). The AMCATS drop to 3-11 overall and 0-5 in the GNAC.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
-The AMCATS came out strong against Albertus Magnus and took leads in the opening set of 8-2 and then 11-6. They held on to the lead and went ahead 17-12 before the hosts rallied to tie the match at 17-all. It was tied 23-23 when the Falcons scored two straight points to win 25-23.
-Anna Maria again came out strong, taking an early 6-2 lead. It was a two-point margin most of the set until the AMCATS pulled ahead, 20-16. Albertus Magnus bounced back to tie it at 20-20, and it was tied again at 24-24 before the hosts pulled out a 26-24 decision.
-It was all Falcons in the third set, as the AMCATS fell behind 10-1 and never recovered. Albertus Magnus went on to take the set, 25-7, and the match, 3-0.
-Caroline Garcia was the top defensive player for the AMCATS with 10 digs, while Daizy Mitchell added nine digs and Foti chipped in with seven digs.
- Set one was competitive early on, with Suffolk holding a 9-6 lead. The Rams erupted for 12 consecutive points, and went on to win the set, 25-9.
-Suffolk continued its momentum in the second set, jumping out to an 8-3 advantage. The AMCATS stayed within striking distance at 8-5 and 11-8 before the Rams started to pull away, taking a lead of 16-8. Suffolk again scored five straight points and went on to take the set, 25-11.
-The AMCATS fell behind early in the third set, but stayed within four points at 10-6. The Rams proved to be too strong and rattled off 14 points in a row before closing out the match with a 25-8 verdict.
-Foti led the AMCATS with seven kills in the match, and Lathrop posted seven assists.
-Hannah Mitchell topped the team with three service aces.
-Garcia recorded eight digs to lead the way, while Lathrop and Mitchell contributed six digs each.
Anna Maria plays its next four matches at home, beginning Tuesday at the Fuller Center with a non-conference match against Mount Holyoke College (7:00 p.m.)
* * *