SALEM, MA - The Anna Maria field hockey team (1-1) topped Salem St. (1-1), 1-0 Thursday evening in non-conference action at Alumni Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first half, there was competitive play by both squads as neither were able to break the scoreless tie. Each side was able to generate their own scoring chances as the Vikings put eight shots on goal. But, they could not find the back of the net behind the stellar play of goaltender Cassandra Micklesavage (Pottstown, PA) with four saves. The AMCATS scoring chances came via corners as they were able to hold the slight edge in that category with four corner shots versus Salem State's three.
- Once the third quarter started, both sides continued where they left off in the first half but the AMCATS were able to break the 0-0 tie first. At the 35:43 mark, Chayna Bingham-Hendricks (Mashpee, MA) sent a pass across the scoring crease for Lauren Lapierre (Worcester, MA) as she sent a rocket past the Vikings goalie for the 1-0 lead and eventual game-winner.
- Salem State had their chances in the fourth but thanks to great defense by the 'Cats, the Vikings were not able to generate any strong scoring opportunities as Anna Maria pulled out the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Micklesavage ended the night with five saves in the contest.
- Along with Lapierre, three other AMCATS were tied for the lead in shots with one (Brittney Cherry (Worcester, MA), Bingham-Hendricks, and Allyson Shaw (Holden, MA)).
Anna Maria will have a few days off before returning home when they take on Clark University on Tuesday, September 10 at 4:00 PM. Salem St. will also have some time off and continue their homestand as they take on the University of Maine-Farmington on Tuesday, September 10 at 4:00 PM.