BOSTON, MA - The Simmons University Sharks (2-3, 1-0) topped the Anna Maria AMCATS (1-4, 0-1) by a score of 3-0 in each school's Great Northeast Athletic Conference opener at Daly Field on Saturday morning.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Anna Maria almost struck first early in the first quarter at the 3:40 mark when Chayna Bingham-Hendricks (Mashpee, MA) sent a pass from near midfield that was able to find its way through the Sharks defense to Anne Melanson (Grafton, MA) who blasted a shot that ended up going just left of the net. The 'Cats almost had another chance to break the tie in the first when Bingham-Hendricks sent another great pass past the defense to Brittney Cherry (Worcester, MA) who then swung the ball to Allyson Shaw (Holden, MA) for a shot near the top of the shooting circle that ended up going just right of the net keeping the game at a standstill. The AMCATS defense played a key role in the first quarter too, Simmons was limited to just two shots and Cassandra Micklesavage (Feeding Hills, MA) made two big stops on a Simmons penalty corner to keep the game scoreless after one.
- Simmons struck first just 65 seconds into the second quarter as Maggie Fuzak (Buffalo, NY) collected a rebound from the defensive save made by Emily Randall and placed a shot from the left side of Micklsavage that squeaked across from her to give the Sharks the 1-0 lead early in the second. However, Anna Maria almost tied the contest up toward the end of the second with 3:53 left as Calli McLaughlin (Rutland, MA) got herself free for brief opening and put a shot on net but was turned away by Sharks goalie, Lucy McNamara (Brewster, MA).
- The Sharks tried to add onto their lead in the third as they took three shots, but could not find the back of the net as the defense and Micklsavage kept Simmons at bay that included big-time saves from Micklsavage off of corners and scrambles in front of the net.
- It was during the fourth where the Sharks were able to add on two insurance goals. Olivia Trull (Lowell, MA) scored the first one when she collected the rebound off a Fuzak shot and then struck the ball into the back of the cage for the 2-0 lead. Trull scored her second goal of the contest later in the fourth when she received a pass from Haley Dover (West Springfield, MA)'s penalty corner and ripped a shot into the net for a 3-0 lead.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Micklsavage collected nine saves during the contest. McNamara also made a save on the day for Simmons.
- Anna Maria's defense allowed no more than four shots through each of the first three quarters.
- The AMCATS held a 3-1 advantage in corners during the fourth quarter.
- Three different AMCATS each registered a shot on net (McLaughlin, Melanson, and Shaw).
Anna Maria will be on the road again on Tuesday, September 17th when they travel to Becker for a 4:00 pm contest. Simmons continues their homestand hosting Wheaton College on Wednesday, September 18 at 4:00 PM.