PAXTON, MA - Five different AMCATS found the back of the net, and freshman Hannah Tobey (Falmouth, MA) notched a shut-out in her first collegiate start as Anna Maria (2-5) topped the Bridgewater State Bears (0-5), 5-0 Thursday afternoon at AMCAT field in non-conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- 29 seconds into the contest the squad struck first after Anne Melanson (Grafton, MA) put a shot on net but was turned away by Bears keeper Jillian Delaney (Foxborough, MA). However, Chayna Bingham-Hendricks (Mashpee, MA) collected the rebound and put her shot past Delaney for the early 1-0 lead.
- Later in the first at 11:08, Allyson Shaw (Holden, MA) pushed the ball down the field and found Melanson running close by and swung the ball over to her and she blasted a shot into the back of the cage for the 2-0 lead. Not long after at 14:15, Shaw struck again for her second assist after she put a shot on net, but Lauren Lapierre (Worcester, MA) corraled the rebound for the third goal of the first quarter.
- Anna Maria continued the offensive pursuit as Calli McLaughlin (Rutland, MA) tallied her first collegiate goal after Shaw found McLaughlin to set her up for the open shot and ripped it past Delaney to make the score 4-0. The Bears almost cut the deficit to three when Olivia Ahlman (Halifax, MA) sent a high shot that was headed to the net, but Tobey leaped and knocked the ball down to keep the shutout intact.
- In the fourth, the 'Cats added on one more goal as Shaw was on the scoring end this time after the squad drew a penalty corner. Abigayle Celata (Baldwinville, MA) passed her corner over to Bingham-Hendricks and she swung the ball over to Shaw as she buried her shot and rounded out the scoring for Anna Maria.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Tobey collected four saves in the contest in her first collegiate start.
- Five different AMCATS scored on the day (Bingham-Hendricks, Melanson, Lapierre, McLaughlin, and Shaw).
- Anna Maria outshot Bridgewater State, 19-8.
- Delaney made 10 saves on the afternoon.
- The AMCATS nearly doubled the Bears in penalty corners by a margin of 13-7.
- Shaw's three assists are a season-high.
Anna Maria has only a couple days off before they host Johnson & Wales on Saturday, September 21 at 10:00 AM. Bridgewater State has a few days off they return back home against Worcester State Wednesday, September 25 at 4:30 PM.