NEWTON, MA - In a tightly contested matchup between Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) foes, Anna Maria field hockey (4-6, 1-2) dropped their match to the Lasell Lasers (3-6, 2-1), 2-1 in double overtime at Grellier Field Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both sides fought hard the entire contest and the AMCATS had an opportunity to get on the board on the first but were blocked by the Lasell defense. Abigayle Celata (Baldwinville, MA) drew the penalty corner and found Chayna Bingham-Hendricks (Mashpee, MA) near the top of the scoring zone. Bingham-Hendricks sent a pass to Meghan Sonia (West Tisbury, MA) and she blasted a shot near the right side but was blocked by a wall of Laser defenders.
- In the first half, Lasell peppered AMCATS goalie, Hannah Tobey (Falmouth, MA) with eight shots, but was turned away each time including a scramble in front of the net at 5:52. Lasell drew a penalty corner and Kaylie Gonya (Uxbridge, MA) passed the ball into Sam Taylor (Hanover, MA). Taylor collected the pass and created a little space for herself to put a shot on net, but Tobey kicked her shot away keeping the shutout intact.
- Anna Maria broke the scoreless tie in the third quarter off the stick of Celata at 32:08. The AMCATS drew another penalty corner and Celata sent her pass into Bingham-Hendricks who swung it back to Celata in front of the net and Laser defenders. After a scramble for the ball, Celata's persistence paid off when she saw a chance for a shot and sent it past Lasell goalie, Sofia Rodriguez (Peabody, MA) and the Lasell defense for the 1-0 lead.
- However, in the fourth quarter, Lasell found the equalizer at the 52:22 mark off the stick of Taylor. The Lasers had a penalty corner and Gonya found Taylor near the top of the scoring zone and she weaved her way past the Anna Maria defense. Once she found an opening, she ripped a shot past Tobey to even the contest up at one.
- When overtime started the 'Cats had a chance to win the game four minutes in. Calli McLaughlin (Rutland, MA) corralled a Lasell turnover near mid-field and rocketed a pass to the other side for a running Brittney Cherry (Worcester, MA). Cherry passed to Celata near the goalie box who tapped the ball back to Cherry, and she put a shot on net but was kicked away by Rodriguez.
- After both sides could not pot the game-winner in overtime, Taylor found the net after she created her own offense to get the ball past Tobey for the winning goal.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Tobey made six saves on the afternoon, Rodriguez had two saves for the hosts.
- Anna Maria and Lasell were tied for shots in the third quarter at two. However, were outshot by the Lasers (18-5).
- Five different AMCATS had shots on net (Cherry, McLaughlin, Allyson Shaw (Holden, MA), Sonia, and Celata respectively).
Anna Maria will have a few days off before traveling to New England College on Tuesday, October 1 at 7 PM. Lasell continues their homestand hosting Roger Williams on Wednesday, October 2 at 4 PM.