PAXTON, MA - The Anna Maria field hockey team (7-7, 3-3 GNAC) lost their match against the Saint Joesph's (ME) (13-3, 6-0 GNAC) Monks, 5-0 on Thursday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference Action at Caparso Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Monks scored early in the contest at the 4:44 mark from Alexandra Belaire (Greene, ME). Saint Joesph's drew a penalty corner, and Megan Quirion (Oakland, ME) sent a pass to the top of the scoring zone for Belaire. Belaire corralled the pass and sent a rocket past the AMCATS defense and goalie, Hannah Tobey (Falmouth, MA) for the quick 1-0 lead.
- Anna Maria almost found the equalizer at 7:21 from Allyson Shaw (Holden, MA). During a cluster of AMCATS and Monks in front of Saint Joesph's keeper, Alexandria Simpson (Pascoag, RI), Shaw found a loose ball and put the ball on the net but was turned away.
- When the second quarter started, Saint Joesph's increased their lead to two off the stick of Maddy Beaulieu (West Gardiner, ME). At 17:37, the Monks had another penalty corner and Belaire received the penalty corner pass. Once she received the pass, she found Beaulieu open at the top right corner for the quick shot past Tobey's left side.
- Before the second quarter ended, the Monks added one more goal courtesy of Meghan Hill (Brookline, NH) for the 3-0 advantage heading into halftime.
- Saint Joesph's tacked on two more goals in the third quarter from Emma Rutledge (Alfred, ME) at 32:17 and 39:38 respectively.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Tobey made 12 saves on the afternoon for the AMCATS. For the Monks, Simpson had two saves.
- Anne Melanson (Grafton, MA) and Shaw's two shots paced the AMCATS offense.
- Anna Maria was ultimately outshot 24-2.
- Saint Joesph's also held the advantage in corners, 18-1.
Anna Maria will have a quick turnaround when they travel to GNAC rival, Colby-Sawyer College on Saturday, October 26 at 12 PM. Saint Joesph's returns home on Saturday, October 26 at 3 PM for a GNAC matchup against Johnson & Wales University.