NEW LONDON, NH - In a close game the entire afternoon, the Anna Maria field hockey team (7-8, 3-4 GNAC) dropped an overtime contest to Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) opponent, Colby-Sawyer Chargers (8-8, 4-3) 1-0 Saturday afternoon at Veitch Turf Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Chayna Bingham-Hendricks (Mashpee, MA) almost got the AMCATS going 52 seconds in. Anna Maria drew a penalty corner and Abigayle Celata (Baldwinville, MA) passed the ball into Bingham-Hendricks at the top left corner of the scoring circle. She corralled the pass and ripped a shot past Chargers defenders but was kicked away by Colby-Sawyer goalie, Abby Laddd (Colchester, VT).
- Both sides continued to play hard into the second and third quarters when Hadley Woodfin (Marblehead, MA) almost broke the tie for the Chargers. At 35:31, Woodfin handled a penalty corner pass from Bella Silva (Danvers, MA) and generated her own offense. However, Hannah Tobey (Falmouth, MA) turned away the shot attempt to maintain the 0-0 tie.
- As time wound down in the fourth, Woodfin had a chance to win the game for the Chargers at 59:50. Woodfin received another penalty corner from Silvia near the left side of the net and saw her shot blocked by a sliding Celata to send the game into overtime.
- At 67:13 of overtime, Kailyn Lapham (Medway, MA) drew a foul for a penalty stroke. Lapham sent her shot past Tobey's left side for a Colby-Sawyer win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Tobey made seven saves on the afternoon. Meanwhile, Ladd collected three for the hosts.
- Bingham-Hendricks and Lauren Lapierre (Worcester, MA) led the AMCATS offense with two shots. Brittney Cherry (Worcester, MA) and Calli McLaughlin (Rutland, MA) rounded out the shots with one.
- Anna Maria was outshot by Colby-Sawyer, 16-6.
- The Chargers held a 11-2 advantage in penalty corners.
Anna Maria wraps up the regular season on Wednesday, October 30 at 4:30 PM against Rivier for senior day. Colby-Sawyer finishes the year hosting Saint Joesph's (ME) on Wednesday, October 30 at 3:30 PM.