John Patraitis (third from left) has been named to the 2013 New England Basketball Hall of Fame. On Saturday, June 22, John Patraitis will join other honorees representing a variety of categories including coaches, players, teams and special contributors at a major ceremony at the DCU Center in Worcester, Massachusetts.
Playing College Basketball at Anna Maria College John had many accomplishments, some of which include:
- Anna Maria College's all-time leading scorer (2,434 points)
- All-time leading rebounder (884)
- Selected All-American senior year
- 2nd in country in scoring senior year (29.9 points per game)
- 3rd in country in scoring junior year (26.6 points per game)
- 20th in country in rebounding senior year (10.4 rebounds per game)
- 25th in country in rebounding junior year (10.3 rebounds per game)
- 2nd in country in field goal percentage sophomore year (69.5%)
- 15th leading scorer nationally in Division III college basketball history
- Holds school records in field goals made (973) and foul shots made (650)
- Inducted into the Anna Maria College Athletic Hall of Fame
- #31 uniform is retired
- Career average (22.5 points per game)
- Commonwealth Coast Conference Player of the Year
The June 22 event will include a series of afternoon panel discussions featuring a number of former NBA and WNBA players who will be inducted that evening, as well as famed coaches, such as John Caliperi of Kentucky, former UMASS Coach. Renowned novelist, Harlan Coben, who was an outstanding player at Amherst, will be among the inductees, and will serve as an afternoon panelist.
The event is as much a reunion as ceremony and has become one of the largest sports dinners in America. At the last ceremony, the event welcomed over 1,600 people and was a sell out. The 2013 event is expected to be a sell out.
For further information, visit www.nebasketballhalloffame.com.