SALEM, MA - The Anna Maria men's soccer team (2-4) were bested by the Salem State Vikings (3-2) in non-conference action on Saturday afternoon at Alumni Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The AMCATS struck first in the contest at the 21:24 mark where they drew a corner kick and Hezekiah Adeyeye (Woonsocket, RI) placed the kick in a perfect spot only captain Ryan Todesco (Southwick, MA) could get on the left side of the net when he leaped up and headed the ball past Vikings goalie, Christopher Jimenez (Nashua, NH) for the early 1-0 lead. However, Salem St. was able to get the equalizer with only 39 seconds left in the half as Sean Ward (Woburn, MA) passed the ball up to Geo Ramirez (Lynn, MA) who found a running Ali Ewiess up the right side of the field who was able to squeak a shot past the corner of the net to tie the match.
- During the second half, Salem St. broke the tie at 53:47 when Grace Dos Santos (Brockton, MA) found Nicholas Ramos (Middleboro, MA) near the net who was able to get the ball past Donahue for the 2-1 lead.
- The AMCATS kept themselves in the contest as Jeffre Donahue (Rockland, MA) made multiple key saves that included one made at 61:25 when Dos Santos weaved his way through the defense to get free near the top of the goalie box and blasted a shot on net, but Donahue made a key diving save. Donahue would go on to make another save shortly after as the Vikings brought the ball into the box for a chance to score, Donahue instead made a sliding save to disrupt the play and forced a Salem St. turnover in the process.
- Salem St. would go on to add two more insurance goals later in the half as Paa Sowe (Lynn, MA) snuck past the defense and tapped a pass over to Ramos for his second goal of the stanza. At 78:51, the Vikings capitalized on a corner kick when Ewiess lofted the ball to the right side of the net where Ramos headed the ball in to complete his hat trick.
- During the 84:41 mark, the 'Cats almost cut the deficit down to two as Amaru Carney (Tallahassee, FL) ran up the left side with the ball and put the ball on net, but Jimenez turned the attempt away. Nick Lawrence (Attleboro, MA) collected the rebound for the chance, but his shot went just high over the left side of the goal.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Donahue would go on to make seven saves on the day, Jimenez ended up with five for the Vikings.
- Todesco's goal in the first was his second on the season.
- Adeyeye's assist marked his second on the season.
- Leading the squad in shots was Adeyeye with three, Caleb Wu (New Hartford, NY) was right behind him with two, and four AMCATS were tied with one to round out the top three (Christian Aldana (Clinton, Corners, NY), Lawrence, Alex Nichols (Tinton Falls, NJ), and Todesco).
Anna Maria's road trip continues when they travel to Northern Vermont-Johnson on Tuesday, September 17th at 4:00 PM. Salem State goes on the road on Wednesday, September 18th as they take on UMass-Dartmouth at 7:00 PM.