READING, PA - After a first-period goal from Riley Cote (Tewksbury, MA), the Anna Maria hockey team (0-1) fell in their season opener to the Alvernia University Golden Wolves (1-0), 4-1 Friday evening at the Body Zone.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The AMCATS wasted no time getting on the board just 13 seconds into the period. Cote generated her own offense and put a shot past Golden Wolves keeper, Julia Beaven (Seaforth, ON) for the quick 1-0 lead.
- However, six minutes later, Alvernia evened the contest at one off the stick of Abby Reisinger (Matthews, NC). Fiona Stewart (Fairfax, VA) found an open Reisinger who got herself free and sent her shot past AMCATS goalie, Gabrielle Ohanesian (Bozemen, MT).
- As the second quarter got underway, the Golden Wolves tacked on three more goals from Reisinger, and two from Olivia Gillida (Littleton, CO) at 2:32, 7:45, and 17:06 respectively.
- When the third period got underway, Anna Maria peppered Beaven and the Golden Wolves with 10 shots. This included one from Mckenna Naumchik (Somers Point, NJ) that was blocked by Logan Arand (Manchester, MO) to maintain the Alvernia three-goal lead.
- The Golden Wolves added on two more goals in the third period courtesy of Abby Radcliffe (Waxhaw, NC) to make the score 6-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ohanesian stopped 35 shots on the evening. Meanwhile, Beaven stopped 19 for the hosts.
- Annabelle Austin (Anchorage, AK) and Grace Dodge (St. Paul, MN) had six shots to lead the AMCATS offense. Naumchik (4), Cote (3), and Kaitlyn Korpach (North Battleford, SK) (2) rounded out the top-five shots taken for the 'Cats.
- Alvernia outshot Anna Maria by a margin of 55-33.
- The squad edged out the Golden Wolves in faceoffs won, 31-25.
Anna Maria and Alvernia will face off one more time, tomorrow afternoon at 2 PM.