READING, PA - Despite a late third-period push from the AMCATS (0-2), the Alvernia Golden Wolves (2-0) held on for a 5-4 victory Saturday afternoon at the Body Zone.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Just under five minutes into the period, the Golden Wolves struck first when Morgan Moore (Niles, MI) squeaked a shot past Gabrielle Ohanesian (Bozemen, MT) for the quick 1-0 lead. Not long after, Alvernia added another goal when Abby Zenone (North Ridgeville, OH) executed a wrap-around on Ohanesian's left side.
- However, Anna Maria quickly cut into the Alvernia lead when Annabelle Austin (Anchorage, AK) got a screen to blast her shot past Alvernia keeper, Julia Beaven (Seaforth, ON) and made the score 2-1.
- Once the second period was underway, the Golden Wolves wasted no time and added to their lead when Zenone completed her hat trick at 18 seconds and 8:11 respectively.
- Anna Maria drew a power-play opportunity to start the third and cut the deficit to two from the stick of Riley Cote (Tewksbury, MA). Cote generated her own offense and saw her shot at the left faceoff circle skip past Beaven to make the score 4-2. Alvernia responded at 4:13 when Abby Reisinger (Matthews, NC) put the Golden Wolves up by three goals.
- The AMCATS mounted a strong comeback late in the third with two unanswered power-play goals. Julianna Acosta (North York, ON) and Austin scored at 8:30 and 9:42 to cut the Alvernia lead to 5-4. Ultimately, the Golden Wolves maintained their lead and held onto the 5-4 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ohanesian drew the start and made 10 saves in the loss. Later, Gabrielle Gibson (Anchorage, AK) took over and had 25 saves for the AMCATS.
- For Alvernia, Beaven made 26 saves on the afternoon.
- Anna Maria was outshot by the Golden Wolves, 40-30.
- The AMCATS were three for six on powerplays, whereas the Golden Wolves were two for five.
- On the faceoffs, Anna Maria held a slight advantage by a 39-35 margin.
- Austin's nine shots paced the AMCATS offense, Kaitlyn Korpach (North Battleford, SK), and Cote rounded out the top-three shot takers (four and three).
Anna Maria makes their home debut next Friday and Saturday (November 8 and 9) at 8 PM and 3 PM against Nazareth College. Alvernia travels to Neuman University on Friday, November 8 at 4 PM.