HOPEDALE, MA - The Anna Maria women's hockey team (0-4) concluded their two-game homestand with the Nazareth Golden Flyers (4-0) after a 9-0 defeat at the Blackstone Valley Ice Rink Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Nazareth wasted no time and got on the board first at 3:29 when Abby Luth (Dartmouth, MA) capitalized on a power-play opportunity after she received a pass from Hailey Redders (McFarland, WI) in front of the net for a quick 1-0 lead. About one minute later, Madison Nichols (Trinity, FL) received a cross pass by Keeley Rose (Clayton, NY) near the right face-off circle to the front of Gabrielle Gibson (Anchorage, AK) and tapped in her shot. Nichols also added one more goal before the period ended at 18:56.
- The Golden Flyers started the second the same as the first, Nazareth tacked on four goals by Redders (1:06), Rachel Rice (Plano, TX) (8:50), Celena Rea (Bloomington, MN) (10:05), and Luth (13:23) respectively.
- Once the third period was underway, Luth completed her hat trick for Nazareth at 3:41, and Makena Wiljanen (Brighton, MI) put in one more at 7:07.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- For the AMCATS, Gibson made 22 on saves on the afternoon. Meanwhile, Noelle Giroux (Windham, NH) had eight saves for the visitors.
- The Golden Flyers outshot Anna Maria, 31-8.
- Nazareth went two for three on powerplay opportunities, whereas Anna Maria did not score on their one.
- Niamh Cote (Tewksbury, MA) and Mackenzie Morin (North Smithfield, RI) two shots paced the AMCATS offense.
Anna Maria continues their homestand when the squad hosts Bishop's University in an exhibition contest on Saturday, November 16 at 2:30 PM. Nazareth returns home for a matchup versus Utica on Tuesday, November 12 at 7 PM.