MARLBOROUGH, MA - After a tightly contested match all night, Sophia Zimmerman (Crystal, MN) gave the AMCATS (1-4) their first win of the season over the King's College Monarchs (0-5), 1-0 Friday night at the New England Sports Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither side was able to find the back of the net despite several scoring opportunities. Anna Maria peppered Monarch's goalie, Kiva Sierra Stoltz (Petersburg, ONT.) with 11 shots, while Julia Smith (Chillwack, BC) saw nine shots.
- However, not even five minutes into the third, Zimmerman netted her first goal of the season after she received a great lead pass from Grace Dodge (St. Paul, MN).
- King's College continued to battle in the third period, but the AMCATS stellar defense and Smith's goaltending stopped all Monarch's opportunities to secure the 1-0 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Anna Maria outshot King's College, 42-29.
- Annabelle Austin (Anchorage, AK) led the AMCATS with nine shots, Dodge, and Ashley Dickinson (Bowmanville, ON) rounded out the top-three in shots with seven and four respectively.
- With the triumph, Smith earned her first collegiate win and shutout.
Both sides will finish their two-game set tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 PM at the New England Sports Center.