MARLBOROUGH, MA - Despite a late third period surge by the AMCATS, Anna Maria (1-6-1) dropped their contest to the Chatham University Cougars (4-4-1), 4-2 on Saturday evening at the New England Sports Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sydney Collins (Wake Forest, NC) and the Cougars wasted no-time as they scored 47 seconds into the game. Collins received a pass by Ashley Marchant (Orange County, CA) between the two face-off circles and ripped a shot past Gabrielle Gibson (Anchorage, AK) stick-side for the quick 1-0 lead.
- When the second period was underway, Chatham tacked on three more goals to make it 4-0 courtesy of scores by Collins (4:38), Fiona Danahy (Buffalo, NY) (7:44), and Grace Johnson (Fawn, PA) (11:02) respectively.
- However, the AMCATS knocked the lead down to three after Jacqueline Howlett (North Haven, CT) found the back of the net at 9:02 in the third. Chatham had tried to clear the puck out of their zone, but Howlett intercepted the puck and sent her shot past Devon Strachan (Philadelphia, PA) stick side for the squad's first goal.
- Down 4-1 with 10:35 left, Abigail Vigliotte (Medford, MA) cut the deficit in half after she received a great pass by Meghan Sonia (Martha's Vineyard, MA) and put her shot past Strachan and made it 4-2.
- Gabrielle Ohanesian (Bozemen, MT) saw action between the pipes too and kept Anna Maria in the contest when she made eight saves after the 'Cats scored their second goal. The AMCATS also peppered Strachan with seven shots after the goal but were turned away each time as Chatham ultimately came away with the 4-2 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Howlett's goal was the first of her collegiate career.
- Vigliotte is now tied on the team for the lead in goals (two).
- Gibson earned the start and made 29 saves. Ohanesian entered at 11:52 of the second and had 17 saves.
- For the Cougars, Strachan collected 17 saves on the evening.
- Despite being outshot 46-19, Anna Maria outshot Chatham in the third (13-11).
- Vigliotte lead the attack for Anna Maria with four shots, Annabelle Austin (Anchorage, AK) (three) and Howlett (three) rounded out the top-three shot takers.
Anna Maria heads out on the road against Bowdoin on Wednesday, December 4 at 6 PM. Chatham continues their road trip traveling to Buffalo State on Friday, December 6 at 4 PM.