BRUNSWICK, ME - The Anna Maria College women's hockey team (1-7-1) started their road portion of the schedule versus the Bowdoin College Polar Bears (4-2-1) but were unable to come away with a win after being defeated 7-0 Wednesday evening at Watson Arena.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Each school played a tough first period where nobody could find the back of the net until 18:41 had passed. Bowdoin broke the scoring drought when Zoe Wilson (Missoula, MT) tapped in an Angelina Joyce (Newton, MA) shot that was originally stuffed by AMCATS goalie, Gabrielle Ohanesian (Bozeman, MT).
- Anna Maria almost got the scoring started early in the first period just 2:52 in after Hannah Tobey (Falmouth, MA) sent a shot on the Polar Bears net, but was turned away by Bowdoin goalie, Meagan Miranda (Mendon, MA).
- Once the second period was underway, Bowdoin scored under two minutes in (1:41) when Joyce capitalized on a rebound from a Tala Glass (Glencoe, IL) shot. The Polar Bears also added another goal 15:30 seconds later courtesy of a Brett Stoddard (Concord, NH) power-play goal.
- Despite being down 3-0 heading into the third, Ohanesian did her best to keep the squad in the game with 29 saves through the first two periods including a great save when she snagged an opposite post one-timer from Meg Galanos (Atkinson, NH) at 11:50 of the second.
- Bowdoin opened things up in the third after they tacked on four goals from Jess Cloutier (Bedford, NH), Katie Leininger (Newtown, PA), Elly Whitmore (Anchorage, AK), and Kathryn Kester (New York, NY) at 3:58, 5:37, 13:52, and 16:57 respectively.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ohanesian ended the night with 50 saves, whereas Miranda had six saves for the hosts.
- Bowdoin outshot Anna Maria 50-6.
- The Polar Bears were 2/3 on the power-play, while Anna Maria could not generate any power-play chances.
Anna Maria continues their road trip when they head to Wilkes on Saturday, December 7 at 3 PM. Bowdoin has some time off before they head on the road to take on Southern Maine on Tuesday, December 10 at 7 PM.