WILKES-BARRE, PA - Despite a two-goal outing from Niamh Cote (Tewksbury, MA), the Anna Maria College women's hockey team (1-8-1) dropped a non-conference game to the Wilkes University Colonels (1-6-0), 5-4 Saturday afternoon at the Toyota SportsPlex.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wilkes scored just 3:24 into the contest when Cally Erikson (Carbondale, CO) after she received a pass from Laurenne Fraser (Salt Lake City, UT). The Colonels tacked on another goal six minutes later off the stick of Valerie Koenig (Arlington, TX) when she collected a pass by Ashley Murry (Morgantown, PA).
- However, the AMCATS cut the deficit down to 2-1 when Cote generated her own offense and put a shot past Wilkes goalie, Allyson Jolly (Lincoln, RI).
- Once the second period started, the Colonels struck quickly just 2:57 in after Fraser knocked home a shot after she had a pass from Erikson for the 3-1 advantage.
- The AMCATS surged for two goals in the second period to tie the contest at three. Sophia Zimmerman (Crystal, MN) had the first goal on the powerplay after fellow Minnisotian, Grace Dodge (St. Paul, MN). Cote tallied her second goal when Julianna Acosta (North York, ON) sent a pass her way and Cote put home the game-tying goal.
- As the third period was underway, Wilkes pulled away after they scored two goals courtesy of Quinn Rodefeld (Blaine, MN) and Kendall Castro (Killingworth, CT) at 4:58 and 5:41 respectively.
- Anna Maria would not go away quietly when Ally Goupil (Victoria, BC) received a pass from Cote and sent her shot home to make the deficit 5-4 with a little under three minutes left. In that span, the squad peppered Jolly with five shots including one that hit the post from Dodge. Unfortunately, the AMCATS could not find the equalizer and the Colonels notched the 5-4 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Julia Smith (Chillwack, BC) got the start for the AMCATS and had 30 saves. Meanwhile, Jolly collected 28 saves.
- Wilkes outshot Anna Maria by a margin of 35-32.
- Annabelle Austin (Anchorage, AK) had eight shots to lead the AMCATS in the afternoon.
Anna Maria and Wilkes finish their two-game slate tomorrow afternoon at 3:30 PM.