WILKES BARRE, PA - In a tightly contested game throughout, Meghan Sonia (Martha's Vineyard, MA) and the Anna Maria College women's hockey team (2-8-1) defeated Wilkes University Colonels (1-7-0) 1-0 in an afternoon thriller at the Toyota Sportsplex.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both schools played strong first period and then finally 12:05 into the second period, the AMCATS broke the scoreless drought. Kaitlyn Korpach (North Battleford, SK) sent a pass from behind the net to an open Sonia. From there, she squeaked a shot past Colnoels goalie, Alexa Rango (Hopewell Junction, NY) for the eventual game-winner.
- Gabrielle Ohanesian (Bozemen, MT) was more than excellent today for the squad and made 29 saves on the afternoon to preserve the shutout. Ohanesian faced her most shots in the second when Wilkes peppered her with 10 shots.
- Ohanesian saw just six shots in the third period including a shot by Cally Erikson (Carbondale, CO) with 11 seconds left but was turned away by Ohanesian to seal the 1-0 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Today marked Ohanesian's first win of the season, and Sonia's first collegiate goal for Anna Maria.
- For Wilkes, Rango made 27 saves in defeat.
- Wilkes edged out the 'CATS in shots by a 29-28 margin.
Anna Maria continues their roadtrip visiting Salem St. on Wednesday, January 15 at 6 PM. Meanwhile, Wilkes stays at home when they host Alvernia University on Sunday, January 5 at 3:30 PM.