- PAXTON, MASS: The Anna Maria Football team dropped its third game of the season to Nichols College this afternoon in non-conference action on AMCAT Field.
- Date: 9/21/2019
- Score: Nichols 37, Anna Maria 20
- Records: Nichols (2-1), Anna Maria (0-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The scoring began within the first few seconds of the game when the first snap by the AMCATS led to a fumble from senior Emmanuel Leake (Providence, RI) that was picked up by Jared Abbruzzese (Natick, MA) for the 24-yard scoop and score.
- The Bison would go on to score again on a field goal 31-yards out by Alex Santiago (Sunrise, FL) off of an Anna Maria three and out, to give Nichols the 10-0 lead.
- The AMCATS were able to answer back after a 66-yard kickoff return by Marquis Roderique (Dorchester, MA). The 'Cats would use that momentum to drive down the field 29 yards in five plays for the score. Alex Cohen (Plymouth, MA) connected with David Robinson (Boston, MA) for a 7-yard touchdown to bring AMC back within 4.
- The score would remain at 6-10 until the start of the quarter on a long 13 play 83-yard drive by the Bison for a one-yard rushing score by Michael Pina (Brockton, MA) who was able to fall forward into the end zone from under center. After a Santiago PAT Nichols regained a two-score lead of 17-6.
- After two stalled drives by both teams, Cohen was able to complete a perfect throw over the middle to Justin McMillian (Middleton, CT) for a 35-yard TD. The score would bring Anna Maria back within 4.
- But the Bison answered right back on the very next drive to end the half on a one-yard rush by Joshua Pierre-Charles (Millis, MA). The scoring play was set up by a 40-yard completion from Pina to Hunter Ferreira (Mansfield, MA). The Bison would bring the 24-13 lead into the half and receive to start the second.
- Five possessions into the third quarter Nichols extended their lead on a fumble by the AMCATS inside their own 1-yard line. Joe Cox (Mansfield, MA) forced the fumble which was then recovered by Michael Spaulding (Lithonia, GA) in the end zone for the score.
- The 'Cats would get into the end zone one more time in the game to get within ten of the Bison on a one play 83-yard completion from Cohen to Roderique making it 20-30.
- Nichols put one more on the board at the beginning of the fourth quarter to get our final score of 37-20 on a 13-yard rushing touchdown by Daniel Parker (Brentwood, NY).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Alex Cohen threw 21-43 for 311 yards and 3 touchdowns.
- Michael Pina was 20-32 through the air with 305 yards and a rushing touchdown.
- Pierre-Charles rushed for 127 yards with a score for the Bison.
- Roderique put together a 280 all-purpose yard day with 161 return yards, and 119 receiving with a touchdown for the AMCATS.
- Ferreira caught 7 passes from Pina totaling 108 yards on the day.
- The Anna Maria defense was led by Carl St. Paul (Brooklyn, NY) who had 13 total tackles, with 7 solo and 6 assisted.
- Nichols D was topped by Cox who had 9 total tackles all solo, with 3 coming by way of tackles for a loss, and he forced a fumble.
- Anna Maria returns to action on the 28th when they travel up to play RPI, with kickoff set for 1:00 PM.