- PAXTON, MASS: The Anna Maria Football team was stunned in overtime on a 29-yard field goal to fall to ECFC opponent SUNY Maritime 13-10 on Caparso Field.
- Date: 10/26/2019
- Score: Maritime 13, Anna Maria 10
- Records: Maritime (3-4, 2-1 ECFC), Anna Maria (1-7, 1-2 ECFC)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first score came with 10 minutes left in the first half by the Privateers on a 20-yard touchdown pass from Robert Wheeler to Andrew Geni, to cap off a 9 play 70-yard drive.
- The game was back and forth throughout the third quarter with no one able to score until Anna Maria was able to hit a 21-yard field goal off of the foot of Uthman Ajia (Pawtucket, RI) to go up 10-7 with 8 minutes left.
- Maritime was able to tie it up with just 17 seconds left when Joseph Gagliardi hit a 37 yarder to send it into overtime.
- The AMCATS won the toss and got the first possession but was stopped on all 4 downs by the Privateer defense. Maritime was able to capitalize on their possession and hit a 29-yard field goal to win the game 13-10.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wheeler was 11-17 through the air for 94 yards with 1 TD pass, he also carried 18 times for 36 yards.
- Hezekiah Williamson carried the brunt of the workload out of the backfield for the Privateers carrying the ball 23 times for 61 yards.
- Leake was 14-32 through the air totaling 179 yards and a touchdown pass, he also carried the ball 17 times for 54 yards for a team high.
- Hayden Braga (Foster, RI) was the top receiver for the AMCATS today with 5 catches for 71 yards.
- Anna Maria returns to action on the 2nd of November when they travel to Castleton for 2 pm kickoff.