JOHNSON, VT - The Anna Maria men's soccer team (3-4) got back into the win column today as they topped the Northern Vermont-Johnson Badgers (NVU-Johnson) (2-3-1) by a score of 3-1 Tuesday afternoon in non-conference action at Minaert Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Right away the Badgers had a chance to score as Jack Battisoni (Milton, VT) got himself open to put a shot on net but Jeffre Donahue (Rockland, MA) to make the diving save to go along with his eventual nine saves on the day. Later on in the first half at 11:20, Ryan Todesco (Southwick, MA) found a running Hezekiah Adeyeye (Woonsocket, RI) through of the middle of the field and put a shot on net but Badgers goalie, Zach Blaser (Williamsburg, VA) made the diving save.
- Both sides continued to push each other throughout the first and NVU-Johnson had another opportunity to break the tie at the 25:24 mark from a corner. Nathan Gomez (Eudora, KS) headed the corner kick toward the net, but Donahue punched the ball away to keep the contest scoreless headed into halftime.
- Later in the second half, NVU-Johnson broke the scoreless tie at 39:13 when the Badgers were able to draw a penalty kick and Rob Buonanno (Wolcott, VT) sent his penalty kick past Donahue's left side for the 1-0 lead. However, at 61:39, the AMCATS were able to tie things up thanks to Adeyeye. The 'Cats had a throw-in attempt that went near the upper left corner of the goalie box, and that's when Adeyeye collected the ball during a scramble and blasted his shot past Blaser's left side dive attempt.
- As both sides continued to battle late in the second, Nick Lawrence (Attleboro, MA) broke the tie at the 83:05 point. The AMCATS had a throw-in attempt that went toward the goalie box and was knocked down by the NVU-Johnson defense. Lawrence was able to corral the loose ball and move through the defense then blasted a shot in the upper left side for the eventual game-winner. Lawrence added an insurance goal shortly after at 86:20 when he weaved his way past Badger defenders with great footwork and sent his shot past Blaser's dive attempt to make the contest 3-1 and hold on for the win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Anna Maria outshot NVU-Johnson by a 22-17 margin.
- Donahue's nine saves in the match were a season-high.
- Lawrence's two goals on the day were his third and fourth of the season.
- Adeyeye's goal marked his eighth of the year.
- Blaser recorded 10 saves on the afternoon for the hosts.
Anna Maria continues their road trip when they travel to Nichols College on Thursday, September 19 at 3:00 PM. NVU-Johnson will have a few days off before they travel to SUNY-Canton on Sunday, September 22 at 1:00 PM.