WEST HARTFORD, CT - Despite a late second half goal by Alex Nichols (Tinton Falls, NJ), the Anna Maria men's soccer team (4-10-0, 1-4-0) lost to Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) foe, University of Saint Joseph (USJ) Blue Jays (8-3-0, 4-1-0), 3-1 Wednesday afternoon at the USJ Soccer Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Blue Jays struck early in the contest at 7:57 when Jared Galarza (Newington, CT) sent a cross near the front of AMCATS keeper, Jeffre Donahue (Rockland, MA) and Mergim Kutllovci (Thomaston, CT) blasted a shot in the upper left side for the 1-0 lead. Before the half ended at 43:11, USJ struck one more time off the boot of Daniel Castro (Willimantic, CT). Charles Mputu (Hartford, CT) and Castro played give and go and once Castro corralled the ball, he sent a shot past a jumping Donahue's upper left corner for the 2-0 halftime lead.
- As the second half got underway, USJ added a third goal four minutes in at 49:52. DeAnte Anderson (Bloomfield, CT) sent a cross pass of his own through the Anna Maria defense near the box to Kutllovci. Kutllovci weaved his way past a defender for a shot past Donahue's left side to make the score 3-0.
- The squad cut into the three-goal deficit at 54:27 when Nichols tallied his first collegiate goal. Anna Maria drew a foul and on the free-kick, Nichols curved his shot past diving Blue Jays keeper, Joseph Boland (Rhinebeck, NY)'s right side to make the score 3-1. However, at 63:54, Anderson added one more goal for USJ to make the score 4-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Donahue made six saves on the afternoon for the AMCATS, Boland collected two saves for the hosts.
- Nichols' two shots paced the AMCATS offense, and Caleb Wu (New Hartford, CT) added one shot of his own.
- Anna Maria tacked on three shots in the second half but was ultimately outshot by the Blue Jays, 27-3.
Anna Maria continues their road trip when they head to GNAC opponent Johnson & Wales University on Saturday, October 12th at 1:00 PM. USJ will head on the road traveling to Saint Joseph's (Maine) on Saturday, October 12th at 1:30 PM.