NASHUA, NH - Hezekiah Adeyeye (Woonsocket, RI) and Ryan Todesco (Southwick, MA) paced the AMCATS (4-5, 1-0) as the squad topped the Rivier University Raiders (1-5-1, 0-2), 2-1 in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action on Saturday afternoon at Joanne Merrill Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Anna Maria struck first in the contest at the 31:28 mark when the Raiders had a turnover down at the AMCATS end of the field and Steven Makynen (Uxbridge, MA) came up with the loose ball and sent a pass a little behind mid-field that found a way through Rivier's defense. Adeyeye ran up to the ball and outran two defenders and lured Raiders goalie, Collin Deyarmin (Raymond, NH) out of the box to loft the ball over his head into the net for the early 1-0 lead.
- The 'Cats were not done there, a little over a minute later, Anna Maria struck again and increased their lead to 2-0 at 32:38. Anna Maria drew a corner kick and from Adeyeye's boot, his pass found a hole in front of the box and took a bounce to a diving Todesco who headed the ball in past Deyarmin's left side for his third goal of the season.
- Jeffre Donahue (Rockland, MA) and the AMCATS defense kept Rivier at bay for the rest of the half as they allowed only two shots (only one was on goal) to maintain the shutout headed into halftime.
- However, the Raiders would cut the deficit down to one at 47:59 when they drew a free-kick and Kelvin Cortez (Meriden, CT) placed his shot in the top corner of the net just out of the reach of Donahue to make the score 2-1. Rivier continued to threaten in the second half after their goal taking nine shots but were turned away thanks to the Anna Maria defense, or Donahue who ended with five saves on the afternoon.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Adeyeye's goal was good for his team-leading ninth on the season, and his assist marked his third for the year.
- Makynen collected his first collegiate assist on the season off the Adeyeye goal.
- Deyarmin made five saves on the afternoon for the hosts.
- Anna Maria held the advantage in corners and first-half shots, 6-3 and 7-2 respectively.
- Nick Lawrence (Attleboro, MA) lead Anna Maria in shots with 4, Adeyeye and Todesco were tied with three, and Jared Schuster (Endwell, NY) rounded out the shots with one.
Anna Maria will continue their road trip heading to Fisher College on Wednesday, September 25 at 5:30 PM. Rivier will have a short rest when they take on New England College at 11:00 AM.