PAXTON, MA - Despite two first-half goals from Jared Schuster (Endwell, NY) and Hezekiah Adeyeye (Woonsocket, RI), the Anna Maria men's soccer team (4-8, 1-2-0) could not get past Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) rival, Suffolk University Rams (3-4-1, 2-3-0) by a score of 6-2 Wednesday afternoon at AMCAT Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Suffolk got the scoring started at 13:05 when the Rams knocked down a goal kick that landed at mid-field and the ball found Simon Velez-Angel (Weston, FL). Velez-Angel tapped the ball ahead to a running Tucker Mee (Westwood, MA) near the goalie box to slip the ball past a sliding AMCAT keeper, Jeffre Donahue (Rockland, MA) for the 1-0 lead. Not long after at 20:57, the Rams put up another goal. Suffolk had a free kick and Trevor Murdock (Pembroke, MA) put the ball on net but was turned away by Donahue. However, Jackson Hines (Bristol, CT) found the deflection, slipped the ball past Donahue's left side to make it 2-0.
- Later in the first half, Anna Maria cut the deficit down to one off the boot of Adeyeye. Nick Lawrence (Attleboro, MA) collected the ball off a missed slide tackle by the Rams and found Adeyeye sprinting up the middle of the field and blasted a shot past the left side of Rams goalie, Tom Bennett (Minnetonka, MN) to make the score 2-1.
- Four minutes later, the squad tied things up courtesy of Schuster at 43:46. Anna Maria had a free kick, Adeyeye sent a low line drive into the box and Schuster broke free from the scramble to deflect the ball into the lower left side of the net evening the score headed into the half.
- Donahue would do his best to keep things in reach for the 'Cats when he made three great saves in a row after being peppered by Suffolk at the 51:21 mark. The Rams broke the tie later in the half at 63:46. Suffolk would capitalize off another free-kick when Leonard Acosta (Miami, FL) lofted his kick into scrum of AMCATS and Rams, but Sunjoon Tenorio (Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands) made a diving header and sent the ball past Donahue's left side for the 3-2 lead.
- The Rams added on three more goals in the half from Tenorio, Acosta, and Emilio Tenacio (Hollywood, FL) at 65:16, 71:11, and 77:32 respectively to ultimately make the score 6-2.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Donahue made 12 saves on the afternoon, and Bennett had four saves for the visitors.
- Anna Maria outshot Suffolk 9-8 in the first half but was ultimately outshot 28-12.
- Adyeye's goal in today's contest is good for a team-leading 10.
- Schuester's goal was his first of his collegiate career.
- The AMCATS held the edge in corner kicks, 2-0 at halftime, but was edged out by a margin of 6-3.
Anna Maria continues GNAC play on Saturday, October 5 at 4 PM for senior day. Suffolk returns home for GNAC play against Emmanuel (MA) on Saturday, October 5 at 1 PM.