PAXTON, MA - In a hard-fought Great Northeast Athletics Conference (GNAC) matchup this afternoon, Anna Maria men's soccer (4-6-0, 1-1-0) was edged by the Norwich Cadets (6-2-1, 2-1-1), 2-0 at AMCAT Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Cadets struck first at the 6:41 mark after a throw-in near the midway mark of the field. Dashiel Vermilyasr (Montpelier, VT) collected the throw and sent a pass across the field to a running Joseph Thongsythavong (Salem, MA). He corralled the pass and tapped the ball back to Josue Lopez (Chula Vista, CA) for him to loft the ball just out of the reach of AMCATS keeper, Jeffre Donahue (Rockland, MA) for the quick 1-0 lead.
- Anna Maria almost had the chance for the equalizer toward the end of the first half. At 39:22, Hezekiah Adeyeye (Woonsocket, RI) had a corner kick and found a wide-open Isaiah Battle (Glendale, AZ) near the 20-yard marker who sent a shot over Norwich goalie, Robert Wagenseller (Poway, CA). A couple of minutes later at 41:14, the 'Cats had a free-kick after a Norwich foul and Adeyeye took the kick but it curved just right of the Cadets goal.
- Into the second half, both sides continued to battle, but Norwich added on an insurance goal at 72:53. The Cadets also had a free-kick, and Alex Brannan (Oneonta, NY) curved a shot on net, but Donahue deflected the shot away. However, Amerle Nemeye (Burlington, VT) found the rebound and put the ball in the net to give Norwich the 2-0 lead.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Donahue made a season-high 13 saves on the afternoon.
- Wagenseller improved his record to 6-2-1 on the season for Norwich.
- Anna Maria was edged out in corner kicks, 4-2 in the second half, but 10-3 overall.
Anna Maria continues GNAC play hosting Suffolk on October 2 at 6 PM. Norwich is back at it tomorrow traveling to Elms College for a 1 PM matchup.