HOLYOKE, MA - In a dominant team game where every AMCAT student-athlete scored, the Anna Maria College women's basketball team (3-2) defeated the Bay Path University Wildcats (0-6), 78-42 in non-conference action at the Bartley Center Thursday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The AMCATS came out firing after they went on a 6-0 run in the first four minutes of the quarter as Sienna Johnson (Brockton, MA), Sierra Johnson (Brockton, MA), and Hailey Moore (Worcester, MA) each chipped in two points and caused the quick Wildcats timeout. On the defensive end, the AMCATS held an opponent to single digits in the first quarter for the third time this season led by stellar defense from Amber Wilson (New York, NY) and her two blocks. In the first alone, the squad forced six Bay Path turnovers and scored four points from them.
- In the second quarter, Anna Maria blitzed the Wildcats and outscored them 33-15, which marks their largest margin of the season. Just like the first quarter, the squad started off with a 6-0 run spearheaded by Wilson's four points and saw contributions from two Sierra Johnson and Ashley Rufo (Pittsfield, MA) free throws.
- For the second half, the 'Cats ended up outscoring the Wildcats by a 27-19 advantage and pulled away for the 78-42 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Wilson led all AMCATS scorers with 16 points, Sierra Johnson and Rufo rounded out the double-digit scorers with 14 and 13 points respectively.
- Moore had a season-high 10 rebounds as she helped Anna Maria outrebound Bay Path, 42-28.
- The AMCATS had a season-high, 87.5 free throw percentage (14-16).
- Anna Maria forced a total of 24 Wildcats turnovers compared to their 14.
- For the first time this year, every Anna Maria College women's basketball student-athlete scored at least once.
Anna Maria returns home on Saturday, November 23 when they take on Eastern Nazarene at 1 PM. Bay Path travels to Dean College on Saturday, November 23 at 12 PM.