PAXTON, MA - The Clark University Cougars (3-4) utilized a strong second half to defeat the Anna Maria College women's basketball team (3-4) Tuesday afternoon in non-conference action at the Fuller Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both sides battled hard in the first quarter as each side scored 17 points and the largest lead any school saw was just two points. Francesa Hammond (Worcester, MA) had seven points in the quarter to pace the AMCATS as she forced the Cougars to take a timeout just three minutes in.
- Anna Maria had their strongest quarter in the second when they outscored Clark, 20-17. Tied at 25 with 4:57 left, the squad went on a 9-2 run to give them their largest lead of the contest (34-27). Amber Wilson (New York, NY) started the run when she drained back to back three's and then Hailey Moore (Worcester, MA) put in a layup, and finally, Wilson knocked down a free thrown for the seven-point advantage.
- To end the half, Clark ended on a 7-2 run with four different Cougars scoring (Ginny Benbow (Durham, CT), Hallie Johnson (Princeton, MA), Sarah Zambrano (South San Francisco, CA), and Julia Beebe (Upton, MA).
- In the third quarter, there was more back and forth play similar to the first where no team saw a lead larger than four.
- Clark held a one-point advantage (55-54) with 6:39 left in the fourth, but Anna Maria generated a 9-3 run led by Hammond's five points that included a three and jumper. Wilson chipped in two points, and Sierra Johnson (Brockton, MA) knocked down two free throws for the 63-58 lead with just 4:16 left.
- However, Clark closed the contest on a 13-1 run led by Benbow and Johnson's five points and three points from Hannah Favaloro (Blackstone, MA) to secure the 71-64 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Wilson led the AMCATS in scoring with 18 points, Sienna Johnson (Brockton, MA), and Hammond were the other double-digit AMCATS scorers with 16 points each.
- Moore had a career-high and season-high in rebounds (11).
- Hammond also had a career and season-high in points (16).
- Benbow led all scorers with 24 points for the visitors.
- Favaloro finished with a double-double for Clark (11 points, 17 rebounds).
- Anna Maria outscored Clark in the first half, 37-34. However, the Cougars held a 37-27 advantage in the second half.
Anna Maria has some time off before they travel to Gordon College on Tuesday, December 3 at 5:30 PM. Clark returns home to play Brandies on Thursday, December 5 at 7 PM.