NORTHAMPTON, MA - In the Smith College Tournament finale, the Anna Maria College women's basketball team (3-9) were defeated by the Colby College Mules (4-6), 72-52 at the Ainsworth Gymnasium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first quarter, the AMCATS came away with the early two-point lead (15-13) highlighted by five quick points that started out the game. Amber Wilson (New York, NY) knocked down an early jumper and Sienna Johnson (Brockton, MA) followed up the make with a three.
- However, Colby fought back on a 9-0 run to pull ahead 9-8 with 4:51 left. Carly Christofori (Belmont, MA) started the run after a made three and hit a free throw to lead the Mules with four points during the run. Grace Cotu (Barrington, RI) went to hit a jumper and then Alisha Aube (Westbrook, ME) got the go-ahead three to go and gave Colby a one-point lead.
- Anna Maria closed the quarter with a 7-3 run for a two-point advantage (15-13). Wilson recaptured the lead for the squad after she hit a three followed by a jumper from Sienna Johnson and then Wilson ended the quarter with another basket.
- The second quarter played out the same as the first as both colleges played hard but, Colby won the quarter 19-14. After Jane MacKerron (New York, NY) put the Mules up 22-19, Wilson converted an and-one opportunity to tie it up at 22 and then Sierra Johnson (Brockton, MA) put in a layup for the 24-22 lead with 3:50 left in the half.
- Colby closed the half on a 10-5 run to put the Mules up 32-29 headed into the half. MacKerron paced Colby with six points in the run and received two points from Aube and Ainsley Burns (Barrington, RI).
- The Mules pulled away in the third quarter with a 23-11 advantage for a 55-40 lead after three. Burns put Colby up nine (40-31) after she hit a three with 7:59 left, but the 'CATS pulled within seven (44-37) in just three minutes. Ashley Rufo (Pittsfield, MA) started the burst with a layup and then Wilson and Sienna Johnson each put in jumpers that cut the deficit to seven with 4:06 left in the quarter.
- From there, Colby made an 11-3 run to put the game away led by Aube's seven points and two points via Brooke Guiffre (Welsley, MA) and Paige Russell (Alexandria, VA).
- Colby's offense continued to flow in the fourth quarter as they outscored Anna Maria, 17-12. Wilson tried her best to keep the squad in the contest as she was responsible for eight of the AMCATS 12 points. Anna Maria also received scores from Dawnisha Franklin (Almite, LA) who hit a three, and a free throw from Sienna Johnson.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Wilson posted a double-double with 27 points and 10 rebounds. For the tournament, Wilson garnered All-Tournament team honors where she averaged 25.5 points, six rebounds, two steals, and 1.5 blocks.
- Sienna Johnson was the other double-digit scorer for the 'CATS (10 points).
- Colby saw four Mules post double-digit scoring: Aube (21), Burns (12), MacKerron (10), and Guiffre (10).
- The Mules held better shooting splits from two's and three's (45.2/34.8) compared to Anna Maria (36.5, 33.3).
Anna Maria returns home for the first time in 2020 on Saturday, January 4 at 1 PM against Dean. Meanwhile, Colby hits the road versus Southern Maine on Thursday, January 2 at 6 PM.