NORTHAMPTON, MA - Despite shooting a season-high 64.7 percent from three, the Anna Maria women's basketball's (3-8) team dropped their matchup with the Smith College Pioneers (10-0), 76-57 at the Ainsworth Gymnasium in the Smith College Tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Pioneers got off to a quick start with an 8-2 run led by Amelia Clairmont (Laconia, NH) and her two made three-pointers. Ally Yamada (Seal Beach, CA) chipped in two points for Smith for the quick six-point lead. Although, the AMCATS cut that down to two after Sierra Johnson (Brockton, MA) and Amber Wilson (New York, NY) each knocked down a jumper and made the score 8-6.
- However, Smith ended the quarter on a 13-3 run led by Jess Ruffner (Rocklin, CA) and her five points that included an and-one conversion. Clairmont and Kaitlyn Pickunka (West Hampton, MA) each had four points, and Elle Jo Whalen (Woodinville, WA) had a bucket for the Pioneers during the run too.
- Both colleges played a competitive second quarter as they each scored 15 points. The closest Anna Maria pulled to in the quarter was seven with 4:31 left in the half. The Pioneers increased their lead to 10 after Whalen made a layup to push the score to 26-16. Wilson answered quickly with a three and had the 'CATS within seven (26-19).
- In the last 4:31, Smith closed the half with an 11-5 run paced by Kyra Rideout (Hinsdale, NH) and Dashelle Gleissner (Los Angeles, CA) four points.
- For the Pioneers, it was the third quarter where they pulled away with a 28-13 advantage. Smith saw three different student athletes lead the offense with six points (Ashlyn Bohn (Tuscon, AZ), Clairmont, and Pickunka). Sierra Johnson kept the team in the quarter when she scored 11 of the AMCATS 13 points that included two made three-pointers. Ashley Rufo (Pittsfield, MA) put in two points as well to round out the scoring for Anna Maria.
- Although the 'CATS faced a large deficit headed into the fourth, the squad outscored Smith, 20-11 headlined by a 19-4 run at 8:37. Wilson spearheaded the run with 10 points that included two three-pointers. Dawnisha Franklin (Amite, LA) hit two three's of her own and Sienna Johnson (Brockton, MA) also hit a three.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Wilson led all scorers with 24 points and contributed defensively with three blocks. Sierra Johnson was the other double-digit scorer with 17 points.
- Four different Pioneers scored in double digits for Smith: Clairmont, Pickunka, Ruffner, and Yamada had 13, 10, 10, and 10 respectively.
- Franklin had a season and career-high in points for the AMCATS with six points.
- Anna Maria outshot Smith from three at 64.7 percent (11-17) compared to Smith's 50 percent. However, Smith held a better percentage from the field (48.4 versus 36.8 percent).
Anna Maria and Smith await their opponents as the Smith College Tournament concludes tomorrow.