FRAMINGHAM, MA- The Anna Maria women's basketball team (3-7) finished off the first semester when they traveled to the Framingham State University (FSU) Rams (8-2). Unfortunately, the squad was defeated 85-56 in non-conference action Thursday afternoon at the FSU Athletic Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Along with a 4-4 score early on, the only time the AMCATS tied in the first quarter was when they went on an 8-3 run to knot it up at 12. At 6:51, Sierra Johnson (Brockton, MA) started the run with six straight points. The Rams briefly took a 12-10 lead, but Hailey Vergara (Rialto, CA) hit a jumper to even things up.
- However, in the last 4:36 of the quarter, the Rams had an 8-2 run and took a 20-14 lead to end the first. FSU saw three different student-athletes score during the run including two three's by Mary Kate O'Day (Berlin, MA) and Emily Velozo (Tewksbury, MA). Julia Sanborn (Dracut, MA) also chipped in with a layup too.
- FSU utilized a strong second quarter (25-12) to ultimately pull away from Anna Maria. Although, the squad pulled within three with 6:06 left in the half. Being down 27-19, Vergara knocked down a three-pointer and after a Velozo missed three, Vergara capitalized and made a layup (27-24).
- The Rams then went on an 18-2 run to create a 45-26 lead headed into the half. Velozo spearheaded the run with 12 straight points which included two three-pointers. Gwendolyn Carpenter (Ashley Falls, MA) and Krysta Padellaro (Newburyport, MA) also had two and one points each during the run.
- In the second half, FSU continued their strong offensive play as they outscored the 'CATS, 40-30. Velozo led all Rams scorers in the half with 11 points, Padellaro had seven, and O'Day tallied six points. Sierra Johnson matched Velozo with 11 of her own points and Amber Wilson (New York, NY) had eight points which included a three.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Sierra Johnson led all AMCATS scorers with a season-high 21 points; her 21 points were good for her second career-high (23).
- Vergara also had a career-high with 14 points, and Wilson rounded out the double-digit scorers (10).
- Velozo led all scorers with 37 points for the Rams.
- FSU had shot 49.2 percent from the field while also hitting 43.5 percent from the three-point line. Meanwhile, Anna Maria hit 39 percent from the field, and 36.4 from three.
- Anna Maria was slightly edged out in the turnover battle, 16-15.
Anna Maria will have some much deserved time off before they resume action again on Sunday, December 29 at Smith College at 2 PM. Meanwhile, FSU will take on Wisconson-Eau Claire in the Land of Magic Classic on Saturday, December 28 at 2 PM.